Thursday 25 December 2014

St. Xavier's Memories: The true spirit of Christmas

Date: 23rd December 2000

Place: St. Xavier's  high school, Wardhaman nagar, Nagpur  

I couldn't believe my eyes !
It was magical !!
This was the annual Christmas celebration in our school- My first time ever!
This was probably the only single time of the year when the morning assembly meant something to me. The choir was at its absolute best. Not for a single  moment did I feel  that I could've been better off skipping school that day. 
I hated school so much. 
But not this. This was different.
This was special.
After almost 2 hours of celebration, we were dispersed  to our classes as usual. But the best was yet to come! Each and every one  of us was treated with a little cake, a chocolate and a peppy packet. The class teacher talked to us a bit about Christmas and then we were released.
9 days of Christmas vacation followed !
It just couldn't have gotten any better than this !!
I skipped school a lot for the next 7 years in Xavier's. But I never missed this one single day. 
I just couldn't. 
I loved it.
I missed this day the most when I finally left Xavier's  in 2007. 


12 years later....
Date: 23rd December 2012 Place: Whatever that was left of my school.


I was passing by one fateful morning and saw this.
It was heartbreaking. 
A tear came out of my eye.

We had prayed every single day for almost 6 years for the new building  of our school and it had finally come to reality in 2007. I never regretted missing the chance to spend at least one session in the new school building. This old building was where all of us spent the better part of our childhood and we wanted it all to end right here. And we were lucky. Ours was the last batch in this building before the new one got finished and this fortress of our golden memories was abandoned.
There was no need for this building and maybe it was sold to someone. I always wanted to visit my school someday in the future, feel the joy of sitting on those little  benches again, just stand in the assembly hall murmuring the Christmas carols we were taught and become all nostalgic.

I won't  be able to do that.
EVER.

But no matter what, the spirit of Christmas  will live forever in the hearts of us Xavierites.
It won't  die.
That's a promise.

2 comments:

  1. This made me swing in the past again, beautifully described the buried emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thabks Sumit for checking it out

    ReplyDelete