Friday 19 December 2014

Enough of this sheet !


Take a look at this sorry sight of a 1st year engineering student.
Just look at it!
This one single iconic picture describes the entire story of what an engineering student goes through during his/her 4 year tenure.

I took this picture of one of my friends on 30th January 2011 during one of our 1st year sleepovers where we'd do nothing but make sheets, followed by making some more sheets, just to please the E.D. faculty who used to get some kind of sickening pleasure by overloading us by assigning all kinds of work related to shit.. oops! my bad! .. SHEET making.

I still remember that night as if it was yesterday. Ajinkya (Let's call him that) parked his moped outside my home, hurried up the stairs and in the process, dropped all the stationery (which always reminded him of his Kindergarten days) on the floor, followed by some of the most innovative curse words coming out of his mouth at a pitch so high, it would have made me never be able to face my parents, had they been there. Thankfully they weren't that night.
Ajinkya picked up all his belongings, tucked all the roller scales and pencils and whatnot in his jacket pocket, and finally greeted me in a tone so calm, it gave me the chills.
The guy could always make you wonder if there's 2 different people in there.
We started the usual sheet making and we kept going at it for hours. At approximately 3.30 in the morning, I finished my 11th sheet and was about to start the 12th (that shit never ends, mark my words!) when I saw him, just lying there miserably, the half made sheet getting crumpled on his lap under his weight.
What a peaceful sight that was, yet it felt sad watching those damn sheets getting the best of him. After 7 hours of college, 2 hours of night classes, and some 3 hours of midnight study, the poor soul deserved this.
I put his stuff away from him on the table, switched off the light and carefully put a pillow under his head so as not to wake him up.
He was the topper in ED that year with 79 marks.
4 years later, Ajinkya has successfully completed his B.E. in Computer Science and has also cracked the GRE with ease. He'll be on his way to the US in a few months and be one more step closer towards achieving his goals.
I couldn't be happier for my friend.
Dude deserved every bit of this.
He survived the shit. Sheet.
Whatever.

2 comments:

  1. And I managed to somehow fail in the Drawing paper. I was lugubriously searching for someone who could end my despair of this Drawing fever. Finally Ajinkya came to my rescue and helped me crack that, Drawing the hardest subject of all time. Am still in the state of predicament of how life has changed. Am forever alone for months , dont know when it will end. No matter what it takes the memory we shared are just epitome of the feelings one could ever have. I know life changes but never knew it would throw me that badly that i would get scared of making friends. I just realized "Fewer people you chill with,lesser bullshit you deal with ".

    Truth of life. How can i just end comment without my #Swag #Awesome ##Cheers hashtag? Hahah.. Nice writer. You got something , its why you are my friend "Abhilash Mendhe"

    ReplyDelete
  2. BCCE 1st year was the single best academic session of my life.... nothing even comes close to it! From friends to teachers to everything else, nothing was short of perfect! End of story.

    ReplyDelete