Monday 11 May 2015

Reduced Logic and Increased Prices: The present state of Indian Comics


After reading some Sarvnayak Vistaar reviews, I can't help but think that RC is insulting their fans' intelligence on a whole new level. I mean 10 kharabs?? Really?? Also the fact that the writers don't think even a bit before massacring logic while penning down points like an AC in a convict's cell, explains a lot about what they assume is the level of intelligence of us fans.

I'm a fan since 1998, and am currently 24 years old. I'm pretty sure that when this Sarvnayak series ends completely  ( Still leaving a whole lot of questions unanswered- We're looking at you NAGAYAN) , many of us will have been married and some will even have little kids, who'll someday ask us to give them "those picture stories" that we read. Then you'll give them this series ( Come on you won't give them the new series of Bankelal without Bedi, which can kill the logic building cells of a growing and healthy child in an instant) , and they will read it for some 20 minutes.
Game over!
Daddy! I want a PS 5 ( Or whatever the hell XBOX comes up with) !! Please don't  make me read these things....

When I was a kid, my parents bought 2 Chacha Chaudhary comics (16/- ) for me and thus started the fandom and I never looked back. But I really feel for the next generation as they'll have to buy a complete hardcover set of both Sarvnayak and the Vistaar series for 2500/- with some free stickers thrown in to appease them, otherwise they won't be able to understand what the hell is going on in the story.
Gone are the days when a single 32 page comic used to present a complete and entertaining story without making us fans scratch our heads like we do today after reading a 40/- Bankelal story or a 60/- Vistaar story which is just a tiny part of a legendary saga which seems to have no end and whose each comic, instead of clearing previous doubts, leaves us with a dozen more questions left unanswered.

Comics were never meant to leave us in doubts. What are our college books for?

1 comment: